Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Epiphany Party

There's an epiphany in my pants and you're invited:

Epiphany #1
I have nothing to do but write for the first time in my entire life. Do you understand what this means?! I'm freaking doing it. Is what it means. After 32 years of living on this planet, I am finally committing to my creative work. It also means that I no longer walk around my house. I dance. And sing little silly happy songs. Because that's what happens when you are really, really, really happy.

Epiphany #2
Everything in life is source material. I received this 'How To Be An Artist' message from Elizabeth 'Eat, Pray, Love To Be On Oprah' Gilbert's web site. She spent her twenties traveling around the world working in bars and on ranches, listening to how people spoke and the stories they told. "My travels were a very deliberate effort to learn as much as I could about life, expressly so that I could write about it." This underlines my realization that...

Epiphany #3
Life is very, very, very funny if you pay close attention. This one came to me around the time Orange Garbage Bag Boy came into my world. Since then, life has become a series of hilarious experiences that it is my glorious job to write about. Including my friend who has finally decided to try online dating, only the site has decided she is Male. And she can't change the setting. Which is funny, sure, but even funnier is the sheer volume of email she's receiving from men who want to date her. Him. We're not sure.

Epiphany #4
Do it regardless. This 'How To Be An Artist' message was brought to me by an old dance prof of mine. This woman fell in love with dance in her early twenties. And then she fell in love with the prairies. Common "wisdom" states that you can't have a dance career out here in the boonies. She has. For thirty years. The lesson here is this: decide what you want to do and find a way to do it, no matter what.

No comments: