Monday, September 8, 2008

What's the Donate Deal?

I have added a Donate button to the blog. See it? It's right there on the left side of your screen.* It's simple to use and fun for all ages. Especially kids who have stolen their parents' Mastercards and don't know the meaning of the words Credit Limit.

I've added this button for two reasons. One, because smart people told me to. And two, because I want to attract more good energy to my Just One Year Plan. The JOY Plan is about committing 100% to my creative work for one full year. The more good energy I attract, the more likely I'll be to succeed. And that's what money is...energy.

Love is also energy, so feel free to send that, too. And if you don't feel like donating money, why not donate a reader?

That's enough on the sales pitch side of life. But, while we're talking about the JOY Plan, let's check in on progress, shall we? M'kay. The goals for August/Beginning of September included developing a daily writing routine, finishing the memoir and writing a book proposal for agents.

The book proposal hasn't happened. But the condo renting has and I got so much good material out of it, from getting stuck in the elevator with a prospective tenant to having a guy move into my lobby, that it was worth it. I have enough for at least two short creative nonfiction pieces there. Which I will write and submit after the Giant Book Project is complete.

The book itself has been an incredible journey. My Banff Centre residency begins in one week – I've been at this thing for five weeks already ?!– and there's a lot left to write. But I don't plan on talking to anyone or dislodging my fingers from my keyboard for the next seven days, so I think I can do it. Actually, I know I can. I get off on massively intimidating deadlines, and any suggestion that I can't do something just fuels the fire of I can. I'm like a far less motivated and much shorter version of Michael Phelps.

As far as developing the daily ritual of writing, that's been weird. It seems I can write everyday, but doing anything else is a challenge. Like exercise. That's my next challenge I think – to write every day AND be a healthy, functioning human being. However, I've learned a lot about my own process and limits – i.e. three days without writing turns me into a homicidal maniac, which may or may not just be part of my process.

Beyond finishing the memoir and forcing my rapidly melting ass out the door for a run, another challenge is to protect Canmore as a sacred creative space. Which means not having the sounds of NFL on TSN booming through the place while I'm trying to work. Will all the women who have successfully whipped their partners into sports-watching submission please tell me how you did it? Thanks.



*Unless, of course, you are one of my faithful Facebook readers, in which case the only thing on the left side of your screen is an ad for Sexy Sluts In Your Area. Jump on over to melaniejones.ca to view the mystical and powerful Donate button for yourself.

No comments: