Friday, September 19, 2008

Workshop Round #2

Wrote like mad yesterday after class and all the way to dinner. Missed lunch, even, pounding the keys down in the basement library until I was starving and couldn't see straight.

At dinner we talked about heartbreak. Connie described telling her daughter to remember everything that was good about her lover, to gather every good memory she had and then go in and tell him it's over. In my fatigue and overstimulation, I thought that was the saddest thing I'd ever heard.

The reading last night was mostly poetry, which sounds frightening, but was beautiful.

At the break, Best Friend Bill read my piece – the one being workshopped today and said, "Mel, for the first time I think you're trying too hard. Trust your material." I drove home when the readings finished at ten, opened up my laptop and re-wrote until midnight.

Slept until six. We're starting early today.

No comments: