Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Morning After

It's late Saturday morning. The sky is cloudy (as usual) but bright, the kind of day where I'll need sunglasses. Morning sounds filter through as I sip my tea: the metallic clang as the neighbours fold back their shutters, the faint sound of children yelling, steps loud on the stairs just outside my door.

I was awakened this morning by an impossibly beautiful birdsong. It was like Mozart and a sparrow had some kind of miraculous lovechild and there it was, the most melodic alarm clock in history.

I have a headache. It could be a the half-bottle of rosé I bombed while writing Charlie's fateful end. I could be the two hours of sobbing that followed. Could be both. I'll call it a grief hangover and that should suffice.

After I finished writing and the first round of crying (there's usually several when I get going), I wrote an email to Dana the Artist:

"Oh God. I killed her. Or rather, she killed herself. It's what she's been trying to tell me. I'm horribly, horribly sad. It's why I've been fucked all day...I knew it, but I didn't want to know it. How ridiculous, but how lovely, to be crying over people who came out of my own head."

My sorrow did have a really lovely tinge to it...that this was somehow 'right' and good and true and beautiful. There was also the feeling that this, my snot-faced Friday night sobbing over someone who doesn't exist, was absolutely ridiculous.

My boyfriend confirmed it. He offered a rather confused, "I'm sorry...that your character...died?" And I laughed my head off. Because there I was, age thirty-one, slightly drunk on pink juice-wine, bawling my head off over my imaginary friend.

No comments: