Friday, April 4, 2008

So, Getting any Writing Done?

Most of you have been asking about the sights, sounds and flavours of Paris. But a few have asked about the writing. Tentatively. Politely. Sweetly. So...getting any writing done?

Miraculously and by the grace of something larger than I (or my jet lag symptoms), yes. Yes, I am writing. A screenplay is being birthed as you read. (Ew...birthed.)

A typical screenplay is between 90 and 120 pages, so in order to stay 'on pace' I should be writing 3 - 4 pages per day. I am...how you say....ahead of schedule. This bad boy is pouring out of me. Despite only sleeping three hours last night, the ideas and words are rushing out faster than I can write them down. In fact, I tried to nap this morning, but the damn thing wouldn't let me. It's crazy. I love it. I love it so much that I don't care if I never sleep again. (That is a lie, but you get my sentiment.) I have a crush on this script. And a crush on these characters. And this story.

Soon you'll ask, what's it about? And I'll say: None of your damn business.

You: C'mon. At least tell us about the characters. Me: Nope. Off limits. Authorized personnel only.

You: But, don't you love us? Me: Uh, sure. And your point?

The beginning stages of a draft are precious and fragile. The initial pages and even the entire first draft must be protected as though it were a newborn baby and everyone else in the world were ravenous baby-eating wolves.

If this sounds extreme, it is. First drafts are where an artist gets their bearings, exploring space, time, character and plot and often not getting it right. But getting it wrong means getting one step closer to getting it right and is a necessary process.

First drafts can be downright shitty. In fact, one of my absolute favourite books on writing, 'Bird by Bird' by Anne Lamott, insists upon it.

From the chapter called, you guessed it, Shitty First Drafts:

All good writers write them. This is how they end up with good second drafts and terrific third drafts. People tend to look at successful writers, writers who are getting their books published and maybe even doing well financially, and think that they sit down at their desks every morning feeling like a million dollars, feeling great about who they are and how much talent they have and what a great story they have to tell; that they take in a few deep breaths, push back their sleeves, roll their necks a few times to get all the cricks out, and dive in, typing fully formed passages as fast as a court reporter. But this is just the fantasy of the uninitiated. I know some very great writers, writers you love who write beautifully and have made a great deal of money, and not one of them sits down routinely feeling wildly enthusiastic and confident. Not one of them writes elegant first drafts. All right, one of them does, but we do not like her very much.

When embarking on a new creative undertaking, one experiences a heady mix of excitement, trepidation, superstition, blind faith and insecurity. Okay, I don't know about anyone else. But I experience these things. I'm thrilled to be working on something creative (as opposed to something intended to sell hardwood floors or real estate). I am terrified it will be terrible...or wonderful. I irrationally believe that if I wear the same sweater, drink out of the same coffee cup and spin around three times before sitting down to write, everything will turn out fine. I leap into the creative abyss praying that I will learn to fly before I fall to my death. I might be a touch dramatic about all this, but this is how it feels.

Revealing creative work too early, even to the most caring eyes, is like showing someone a fetus and saying, 'Isn't it cute? Don't you love it? Coochie coochie coo!' More than likely the response will not be what you'd hoped.

Again, I'm being extreme. And kind of horrifying. But I honestly don't care. If I have to set my boundaries with molten balls of fire, I will. And so should you. Your creativity in an early, forming, fragile state is precious. Guard it with your life.

This is also (again...always) about intuition. You will intuitively know when it is time to get some feedback. You will also need to rely on your intuition to hear what your creative work needs in order to become that good second draft and the terrific third draft. Your piece will tell you what it needs. It is your job to listen.

No comments: