Friday, April 25, 2008

A Note on Travel Size

Travel size is a deceiving size. A month-long adventure in Paris has given me unique perspective on the subject of tiny toiletries. I give you, gentle readers, my dissertation...

Toothpaste
A travel sized tube can easily last a month if you use the recommended "pea-sized" amount. I did not. Thinking that this wee tube was going to last maybe a week, I was way too liberal in my usage. I am now in the uncomfortable situation of having one pea-sized amount left and five days of tooth-brushing ahead of me. Current conundrum: buy a new tube or sneak some from landlord's tube (which is peeking out of his toiletry bag under sink...taunting me).

Contact Solution
Travel size here will get you through a week to 10 days. Buying contact solution in Paris put me back around $20 CDN. But that was, I hope, an anomaly. Only I haven't seen contact solution in any of the larger grocery stores. Recommendation: bring two travel sized or one unopened full-sized bottle from home. Alternate recommendation: get laser surgery.

Motrin (Ibuprofen)
You look at the cute little tube and you think it is full of pain relief. You are wrong. There is a pathetic 10 tablets in that conveniently sized tube. Enough for one bout of PMS, but not enough for PMS plus...other pains. It could easily fit thirty or forty. Recommendation: fill 'er up before you go. Unlike I did. My Beaujolais Nouveau hang-over was way worse than it needed to be. You don't have to suffer alone.

Shampoo
I was given a cute matching set of travel sized containers for shampoo and conditioner (labeled 'Shamp' and 'Condi' by my Mom using letter stickers). Shampoo lasted me a month, no problem. I have short-ish hair and I'm not huge on the shampoo usage. However...

Conditioner
A different story. I have unruly naturally curly hair. Conditioner is a necessity and the more the merrier. My container lasted two weeks and then I bought a full-sized one here. Recommendation (based on presence of an afro): leave the travel size at home and buy a full size upon arriving.

Body Wash
Pointless. Chances are you didn't bring your big stupid scrubby puff thing. And the showers are too bloody small to work up any kind of lather on your own...or truly enjoy the self-nurturing luxury that a scented body wash provides. Recommendations: bring a couple of those hotel soaps you've saved for no reason and use showers for simply cleaning yourself. Perform self-nurturing activities with chocolate, cheese and kissing by the Seine (if applicable).

Deodorant
Damn. I almost made it. The travel sized deod has enough antiperspirant power to last a month, but the stick JUST broke yesterday because I have it cranked all the way. Recommendation: apply liberally but carefully. Current conundrum: buy new deod stick or rub crumbly pieces into (hairy) armpit by hand. (See below.)

Disposable Razors
Please refer to the microscopic shower reference above under Body Wash. This is why European women don't shave. There is no room. I was overoptimistic when I packed three or four razors. One is fine. Just don't expect to have a Parisian romance or lift your arms much. Recommendation: use hedge clippers/weed whacker when you get home.

Face Wash
I totally succeeded in this arena of personal hygiene. I went with the travel sized Noxema jar. Yes, you used in in junior high, I know. So did I. And the smell memory part of the experience has been strange. But this thing could go for another month easily. Well worth cramming its awkward round jar shape in my toiletry bag (and re-suffering the indignities of Grade Eight). Recommendation: stay in Paris until Noxema runs out.

No comments: