Sunday, December 28, 2008

Day 120/Day 28: I'm Probably The Last To Know

Yesterday, surrounded by the quiet, darkening mountains, tucked into a tiny, warmly lit corner of the house, I realized I have no life whatsoever. In my urgency and panic to create a life filled with art, I have created a life filled, actually, with nothing in particular. Sure, I write a lot. But I do little else and soon, dear readers, even you will tire of reading about me washing the dishes and picking gnats out of Boyfriend's hair.

It was a size large wake-up call to sit down with my New Year's Resolutions and realize that I've missed the very point of being an artist: play. Creativity is doodling and wandering and pretending and imagining. Which I'll admit to doing on the page but certainly not off of it. Off the page, I'm just a sweatpant-clad chimp padding around my vinyl-sided cage between my feeding dish and the corner where I pee.

This suburban crucible may have been necessary for the intense creation of this book, I realize, but it's left me feeling a little shrunken and bland. And I found it interesting that in thinking about my NYRs, the only things I was clear on were my writing goals. As far as work is concerned, I've got a tractor beam on what I want. But the rest of my life is a bit grey.

So my NYR is simply to get a life, or create one. A life that involves interacting with other humans on a regular basis. One that makes it necessary to get dressed and put on eyeliner if not every day then most days of the week. A life filled with laughter, adventure and play. I want pleasant surprises and I have a feeling I have to leave the house in order to experience them.

Beyond that, I have come to another realization: I'm done with this city. It's a fine place and I've been here for the better part of twenty years, but I'm just not challenged or excited by it any more. When I think about leaving the house, there's nowhere I feel like going. When I think about getting a column or reading at an open mic, I don't want it to be here. I want a bigger pond, a grand adventure. A new environment to discover and create myself. What this means and where this means, I don't know.

Much of my NYR-writing process was discovering that I need to let go. I have been clamping down on the pieces of my life, trying to keep everything under control and only allowing one thing to change at a time. Well, I've ended up with something manageable but boring as hell. I have to let go into uncertainty and allow the things that want to change...to change. I have to test my assumptions about the way people and relationships will react.

I opened up The Artist's Way last night for the first time in months. Here is what I read: "The creative process is a process of surrender, not control."

Normally, NYRs give me that feeling of control. I have my list and I go about checking things off. But this year I have no list. I have a blindfold and a pin. I know the donkey's there, I just know it. But for now, I'm shuffling, hands stretched out and reaching, trying not to peek.

2 comments:

Shea said...

Dear Melanie,

Somehow, by sheer luck, I have wandered across your blog today. I am intrigued.

However, I am also confused. I see that we are on day 120. And yet, when I scan back through the archives, I cannot find day #1. I think I am lost. Day 120 of what? I need help.

Good luck with that Interacting with Other Humans on a Regular Basis Resolution. That's always on my list as well. Please share the magic of how you make that happen. :)

Happy early new year,

shea

Melanie Jones said...

Ah. It's Day 120 of my Just One Year project – living as an artist and committing to my creative work full time for 365 days. It started on September 1, but the idea to number the days/posts didn't come until later.

And then I started a 30-day experiment about writing every single day, which explains the Day 28 thing. Which means I'm almost done, thank God, and we can go back to one set of unexplained numbers.

Welcome, by the way! XO