Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day 122/Day 30: Does This Come With Extended Warranty?

And here we are at the end of the 30-Day Experiment. Which seems kind of silly since there's 31 days in December, but calling it a 31-Day Experiment seemed kind of off, so...

Regardless, I'm extending the experiment one more day. Then I can give you a massive year-end, book-end, science-project-end debrief...while preparing for the New Year's gathering I am hosting. Overachieve much?

Today was a big day. I'm deep in the end-of-project phase of my creative process. I can't find the link to the post where I outline my personal (agonizing) process in minute detail, but this phase goes a little something like this:

I CAN'T F*CKING SLEEP.

Seriously. I toss and turn and I'm vibrating with this excited/anxious energy like I just want to jump out of my skin and make a break for the finish line. The only reason I go to bed in the first place is because sleep is an essential part of my creative process. It's also essential for me to avoid turning into a snarling bitch.

Only I'm the opposite of a bitch right now. I've been walking around in a state of euphoria for the past two days. I'm singing in the mirror. I'm dancing in the kitchen and talking to the coffee maker. I'm a freaking loon.

Part of me thinks it's the lack of sleep. Another part of me thinks I'm in deep denial of secret fears that I've forgotten to write the entire middle part of the story and I haven't actually written a story but a terrible (and very long) Dadaist poem that scrapes the dark corners of my psychic viscera, but doesn't actually say anything.

I'm all for finding something like that out, but not now. Not yet. Not until I finish.

No comments: