Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Crazy Girl Strikes Again

I have an idea. A big, scary, crazy, what-the-heck-are-you-thinking-girl? idea. It involves a Size Large leap of faith. But it's not totally stupid.

My idea is... No, wait, let me justify my position first.

See, my colposcopy results were moderately abnormal. Two bus stops away from cancer. That is Exhibit A. Exhibit B is that our immune systems fight a full 90% of HPV infections. So only a small percentage go on to morph and mutate our pretty little cervix cells.

My hypothesis is this: if I maximize my immune response, then I can beat the virus. Without surgery.

You may be right. I may be crazy.

Honestly, I'm scared. I'm thinking about the fact that a normal cervix is three centimetres thick. My first surgery lopped off one centimetre. And I'm facing another surgery that will take off yet another. Leaving me with only one third of my cervix. At age 31. This is not sitting well with me.

When you are a young person, as I generally consider myself to be, you really do think you're invincible. The notion of things not growing back doesn't even occur to you. Until times like these. You don't know what you've got until they're about to cut it off.

I'm trying to remember if I was ever told that the cervix doesn't regenerate. I don't think I was. Or maybe I blocked it out in the blissful denial of youth.

Regardless, I'm now thinking long term. Like, say my HPV gives me another seven year grace period. If all goes well, I'll do my reproducin' and get that all checked off my list. She said glibly. That puts me at the ripe old age of 38. Facing possible cervical obliteration.

I know. Getting the LEEP procedure means I'm no more at risk of dysplasia than anyone else with HPV. I get that, thank you.

But even if it didn't come back for 10 or 15 years, that still puts me at a quarter past Too Young For No Cervix. And if it didn't come back at all, well, yay.

So, my idea involves my immune system. And no surgery. And I love that I'm writing this right at the moment when my story is appearing in the newspaper. Hello new readers! Welcome to nuttyHPVgirl.com. Where we don't do as we're told!

Before you all go berserk and tell me how off the charts insane I am, just take a breath. And let me work this through. Surgery doesn't feel right for me. I am not advocating wild disregard for Western medicine. I'm no alt health care activist. I'm just working through my feelings.

I'll take you with me through the process. But you have to stay strong. Welcome aboard.

No comments: