Friday, June 27, 2008

The Plot Thickens

I am a holistic, spiritual, woo woo-type girl smack in the middle of a hardcore science family. I grew up with a framed Charles Darwin quote on the wall. And I'm the oldest of three daughters. As the oldest child, it is absolutely my responsibility to rebel and not do what I'm told. To test my parents' patience and limits on a daily basis.

We all thought I got over that when I was sixteen. We thought that again at twenty-three. And finally, I swore, at twenty-nine.

So here we are, on the almost-eve of my thirty-second birthday and oops, I did it again. Or am about to.

I have just left a message with Dr. Best In The City. When she calls back, I'm going to discuss my gradually forming plan with her and see if she'll buy in.

My idea is this: to delay surgery by six months. To maximize immune function in those six months. To get re-tested as many times as Dr. Best thinks is...best. And to transform my abnormal cells into vibrant, healthy, glowing cells. (The word regression sounds so negative, doesn't it?)

As a spiritual type, there are some other methodologies I will be looking into. The major one being Louise Hay's metaphysical work. I've written around the subject of Louise Hay in a few posts, and as I get more into her work, I'll share it with you. Her basic thesis is that the root causes of disease are within us, as is the capacity to heal.

Which is what this whole experiment is about: my body's capacity to heal itself. I am banking on my body's intelligence and strength, and a belief that my body wants to make itself healthy. Quite a concept, hey? The word 'empowerment' comes to mind.

My personal journey will also focus on creativity. Read my posts Body as Metaphor and A New Day.

I am not about to make reckless decisions about my health. I am not here to pointlessly rebel against the Western health care model. I am here to evolve as a human being and help others through my writing. That is my purpose.

The fact that, after a measly four posts about cervical cancer, this blog has been brought to the entire city (and way beyond) tells me that this is important. Starting a dialogue is important. Questioning the 'way we've always done it' is important. It also tells me now is the time.

But I'm not the kind of person who will rehash what's already being said just to make everyone feel comfy. I thought about my impluse to edit myself, to censor my desire to discover a new way to approach this 'very common' problem. Well, that's not me. I am the oldest child. The iconoclast. I think there are other ways of seeing this problem and this is where we are starting. If you want pat FAQs and statistics, you won't find 'em here. What you will find is a creative person taking a creative approach to her health. You will also probably find that I think laughing my face off is a nice way to begin.

No comments: