Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mortgage Judo

You know what? Even if I did hear back from Mr. Awkward Indecisive Orange Garbage Bag Guy, I wouldn't really want him as a tenant anyhow. You just know he would be the guy to call you up at 2 a.m. on a Saturday night saying, "My toilet's overflowing. Come fix it." And then I'd have to schlep down there in my jammies and dislodge some gargantuan Polish sausage from the john under his disapproving glare. Like I need that in my life.

Someone asked me what I thought it meant that my place hadn't rented yet. Like what kind of Law of Attraction woo woo business was going on. My first thought was: 'Because I thought renting my place would be hard and therefore it is hard.' And my second thought, the thought that became words was: 'Because I'm supposed to start a commune for artists who all come here and do kick-ass creative work.'

This Someone suggested a brothel might be more profitable. Which is probably true. It's just that subdividing a 650 square foot condo into several, um, treatment rooms might be against the condo board rules. Although, the brothel would come equipped with a natural soundtrack of humping noises from the neighbours. Might be good for business. "I'll have what she's having." That sort of thing.

Regardless, my idea about a shared creative space for artists stuck in my head and I really like it. I wrote a few emails to a few friends, floating the idea past them. And then I posted on Craig's List...just to see. Got two emails from interested artists already. Not bad considering it's Labour Day Long Weekend and everyone is desperately BBQing everything in sight hoping to juice the last drop of Summer Fun from these three days.

Here is what I think: if I just relax about the whole thing and use my own creativity, everything will work out. Just imagine: a bunch of writers, artists, theatre people, designers all gathered into one space making creative work. Maybe having weird artsy rent-raising events involving naked performance art and cocktail weenies. That is just good juju right there.

Or maybe the nice couple doing their PhDs that just called this morning will take it. Who knows? It's all happening.

No comments: