Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 144: JOY Plan, the Remix

So, it's been, like, five-ish months since I started my JOY (Just One Year) Plan – 365 days of living the life of an artist. In the original plan, I was to write a book in six weeks and be finished on September 15th. Yeah, didn't happen. And then I was going to get an agent and a contract by, oh, NOW. WTF?

So anyway, it's time for a revised, remixed and realistic re-write of the JOY Plan. Here's how it's gone down so far and where I'm headed for the second half.

AUGUST 2008 (Prologue)

Work on first draft of Paris dreams memoir
Have daily panic attacks about jumping off the creative cliff

SEPTEMBER 2008 (Official start)
Banff Centre residency
Keep working on memoir
Avoid selling car because renting condo was so exhausting
Watch market crash and realize everybody's lost their Subaru-buying money
Kick self, cry a little

OCTOBER 2008
Work on memoir
Begin to go slightly crazy
Decide not to go to Paris (because I'm crazy)

NOVEMBER 2008
Still working on memoir
Still crazy

DECEMBER 2008
Write every day for 30 days
Finish first draft of memoir
Become suddenly less crazy
Wonder how I'll ever make it through this year with the economy in the shitter and no one buying my car/soon-to-be home

JANUARY 2009
Remember this plan was supposed to be about JOY
Decide to get open to possibility, play and fun
Perform at the High Performance Rodeo
Get offered a free month in Paris
Start work on teen depression project
Send in portfolio of writing samples to Haiti, India, Zambia clean water project

FEBRUARY 2009
Leave for Paris
Collect stories and experiences
Wish that I'd started studying French when I said I would (September)
Eat frightening quantities of cheese
Work on second draft of memoir

MARCH 2009
Return from Paris
Finish depression project
Open letter from Canada Council for the Arts telling me I got a big, juicy grant
Pass out near mailbox
Keep working on second draft of memoir
Begin planning for grant-funded essay collection

APRIL/MAY/JUNE/JULY/AUGUST 2009
Work on memoir until, by the grace of God, it's ready to send to agents
Write essays so funny they hurt
Stay open to adventure, possibility and mojitos
Travel to Haiti, India and Zambia if I get the clean water project

SEPTEMBER 1st, 2009
Celebrate living as an artist for one year
Instantly become rich, famous and better-looking
Turn down invitations from celebrities because I can
Bathe in champagne
Keep on writing...

No comments: