Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 145: Writing Your Day

My new internet soulmate, Shea, asked me to be a part of a new feature on her blog, a conversation with a creative person called WHIP (Wonderful. Horrible. Intermittent. Progress). Love it. Love her.

She emailed me the questions and I wrote about my expectations (lofty) vs. my reality (humbling). About my process (spastic), fake nicknames (The Closer) and how my sweater smells (milky).

Near the end was the seemingly innocuous question: What's on your to-do list for tomorrow? At first, I wrote things like 'finishing the depression project proposal' and 'watching the Lost premiere with friends.'

Then Writer Me looked at the list and thought, 'That's a boring story.' So I got a bit creative. I added some sensual details like "while sipping a delicious coffee" and "drinking pregnant Carly's portion of the wine." I added more whooping and high fiving. I balanced out my day and made it a little yummier.

I wrote my day before it happened and this morning, I became a character in a story that began to unfold as soon as I opened my eyes. I'll never look at to-do lists the same again.

Would I have exercised if I hadn't written it in? Nope. Would I have read more of Dan Pink's awesome book about right-brainers ruling the future? Doubt it. Would I have made today even HALF as delicious? Uh uh.

My day probably would have been just a day. A blah, featureless to-do list that I moved through unconsciously. But today was different. Today was a creation.

1 comment:

Shea said...

Hello, Marvelous!

It's so easy to forget that we are actually characters in our own story. And also, who needs boring, when we can have sensual and delicious?!

Hope today is just as fabulous.

xo,
s.