Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day 67: Happy Pills

So, I get my flunk-in-the-junk results and I get a little grumpy and then it gradually dawns on me that I am contributing to my health problems by being a massive and annoying stress case. And the thing I'm stressing about is something that is supposed to be joyful, a.k.a. LIVING MY FREAKING DREAM. Duh.

I have to chill out. I get it. So, I make the commitment to relax. I go to the gym. I listen to woo woo tapes. I make nice dinners. I read nice books. I trust my book will tell me what it needs. I remember the concept of gratitude. I pray for guidance while making carrot, apple, beet juice. Y'know. That sort of thing.

And the next day, the good Lord spoke unto me. In the form of an email from an acquaintance who needs help on a project. It's a web and video project for teenagers. Using spirituality to help them deal with depression.

Let me just check if this is up my alley...

Depression? Check. Spirituality? Check. Attitude problems, zits and a distrust of most adults? Check. If I could have invented a project to help other people while helping myself, this would be it.

Giving the love works. A couple of months ago when I was feeling especially down, I went through my cell phone and texted 'I love you' to ten people. Within minutes, my inbox was full of 'I love you too' messages. Which was not why I did it, but you get my point. You get what you give, brothers and sisters.

And if all goes well, I'm about to give you some hilarious stories of a neurotic, people-pleasing writer trying to make friends with surly, reticent teenagers. No, no wait...surly, reticent teenagers WITH DEPRESSION. Stay frickin' tuned.

No comments: