Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 167: The List

Okay, I don't know how to make this post look good, but the information is GOLD, so forgive the completely ungainly extendo-list format. This is The List: exactly what to pack for any trip a week or longer. The List is from my friend Renee whose partner works for an airline and therefore travels all over the world all the time.

What? A weekend in Mendoza? Sure!

This is her life.

Renee has the added challenge of having to pack everything in a carry-on because they fly stand-by wherever they go. So, THEORETICALLY everything you see below fits into one of those little rolly suitcases. How she does that is a miracle of physics I have not yet unlocked. I took a first crack at it, but with the seventeen sweaters I have yet to pare down, my stuff may fill the entire cargo hold of the plane.

This version is specific to a hot holiday – she just left on a cruise yesterday. And it is obviously specific to a WOMAN. Guys...you are S.O.L. Sorry. My list will also be specific to a woman – albeit one who hates dresses and skirts – and also specific to frozen-ass Paris in February. I'll post it as soon as I deal with The Sweater Issue.

PANTS
Trouser jeans*
Black dressy
Jean capris

SHORTS
3 Pairs casual
Swim shorts

SKIRTS
1 Casual
1 Dressy

SHIRTS
5 Casual tees
1 Tank top
1 Fancy tee*
3 Long sleeved
3 Fancy tops

SWEATERS
1 Casual
1 Fancy*
2 Others

DRESSES
Bathing suit cover up
2 Casual
1 Fancy

SHOES
2 Pair flip flops
1 Pair casual
1 Pair high heels*
Runners

WORKOUT
Pants
2 Tops
Bra
Socks

JACKETS
1 Overcoat
1 Blazer

MISC
Black cover up shawl*
Nylons, nylon socks
6 undies, 6 socks, 2 bras

OTHER
Book
Journal
Ipod
Camera
Computer
Chargers
US/Euro $$
Passport
Waterproof watch

For my list, I would also add:
Glasses
Electrical adapter

* What she wears on the plane. Because they are representing the airline when they fly, Renee and her guy need to look nice. I've always fantasized about looking like Elle MacPherson when I get off a plane – all Evian-fresh and stylish. Instead, I tend to look like Courtney Love on a bad day in rehab. Maybe The List will help me overcome my transatlantic schlubbiness.

3 comments:

Shea said...

Oh no. This is not possible at all. She must be doing the old "vacuum pack" plan. Or the, "I only wear silk" plan.

Or the, "Actually, I am a wizard and just make it disappear" plan.

Because, this is just makes no sense.

Melanie Jones said...

Mmm. It's more like the 'I weigh 90 pounds soaking wet so everything I own is XS' plan.

XO

Anonymous said...

hey Mel!
i just wanted to wish you luck and some querky incidences to spice up your Paris experiance and your soon to be published book and soon to be my famous friend :)