Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Raw and Uncut

Last night Boyfriend and I attended a raw dinner party. It was Drea's birthday and her hubs wanted to surprise her. For Drea, who is hard core about food, this was basically her dream birthday surprise. For Boyfriend, the meat-itarian, it was the seventh layer of hell.

Mr. Raw has a video production company and we gathered in the downtown loft his company uses for offices. His wife runs cooking classes out of the space too, so we crowded around the massive granite island and enjoyed the sweet sound of Mrs. Raw blending whole fruit margaritas. Drea, Mr. Raw and me chit-chatted about video production, Drea's documentary and how Mr. Raw started in the biz.

Turns out Mr. Raw worked on a little-known television extravaganza made by the university TV station called 2100 University Drive. It was our version of Beverly Hills 90210. I was in it. I played a drama queen and my role basically consisted of having an operatic on-screen orgasm. It was...mortifying. I've blocked it out.

The show went nowhere, but this is the second time I've re-met someone from it. Our Dating Dame cameraman worked on it. And now Mr. Raw. Who turns to Drea and says, "Our friend Matt worked on it, too." Drea and I burst out laughing.

Mr. Raw starts holding court, telling stories about this guy with his head up his ass who never returns his phone calls. "Our friend Matt" who acts in terrible beer commercials. And who created a strange alter ego – an Eminem-looking guy with fake tattoos and a diamond earring – and made video art that just looked like screensavers. I laugh along and tell Mr. Raw that I was there at the birth of the alter ego.

"Oh," he says, laughing. "So, you know our friend Matt."

I stare at him. "Our friend Matt? Is my ex-husband."

Mr. Raw's eyes widen and snap immediately to Boyfriend. Drea and I shriek with laughter. Mrs. Raw serves us more vegetables. And Boyfriend asks if there's any bread.

No comments: