Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Day 37: Behold the Bag Lady

I live out of a bag. It's an Investors Group promotional duffel bag that I've had for four-ish years. Navy blue. I'd say it fits about a week's worth of stuff in it, but that's what I wanted to talk to you about. My concept of "stuff" has seriously shifted because I live out of a bag.

This bag has been my closet since mid-July, when I started leaving town a lot. I went to BC three or four times this summer, driving back and forth and back along Highway 1. In between my trips, I didn't unpack. I just washed what was dirty, repacked and left again. The month of September, I think I was at home for maybe a week total. I'm leaving again today.

One thing I don't stress about is what I'm going to wear. My options are so limited that it doesn't matter. It's like a private school uniform only it's a striped t-shirt and jeans. I would probably be okay with even less clothing. But I packed that bag three months ago and haven't made it to the bottom to see what's there. I wonder how small I could go.

The only problem with wearing a uniform is when it gets dirty. I try to push that as long as I can. So my Standard Issue jeans can stand up and walk themselves to the washing machine by the time I give in. It's probably not sexy, but I don't care. Stuff is losing its hold on me.

The things that take the most room are toiletries (not travel size) and my hair dryer, which I take along because I have curly hair. It has a big, round diffuser on the end so I don't end up looking like the Jackson 5. It's worth it to me to carry this hair dryer. It's not worth it to carry another pair of pants.

All these travels over the past three months haven't been holidays or vacations. I've just been on the move, trying out new spaces and scenes. Places to stay open up for me magically. I've only paid for one. I think I'm supposed to loosen my ties. Let go of my stuff. Think about what I really need in life and what is extraneous baggage.

There's a song the Be Good Tanyas sing and the chorus goes, 'Keep it light enough to travel.' Over and over again. When I hear that song, I feel lighter. And I feel like traveling. Getting back on the highway with my life in one bag. I think I might just do that. I'm already packed.

No comments: